Eduardo Uchiyama, M.D.
Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama joined the Retina Group of Florida after completing his Uveitis Fellowship at Harvard Medical School and participating in the uveitis referral practice at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He also served as an attending physician in the emergency department, where he supervised ophthalmologists-in-training and medical students.
Dr. Uchiyama earned his Medical Degree with honors from the Universidad de San Martin de Porres in his native Peru, where he was the recipient of a Teaching and Leadership award that provided tuition scholarship throughout medical school. After relocating to the United States, he undertook three years of postdoctoral research training at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He then completed his Ophthalmology Residency and Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas. During his last year in Dallas, he served as Chief Retina Fellow and maintained a very active retina practice at two large county hospitals.
“It is truly an honor to use my knowledge and experience to help patients in a time when they feel the most vulnerable”— Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama
Determined to expand his skills, Dr. Uchiyama accepted a fellowship in Uveitis and Ocular Immunology at Harvard Medical School, with appointments at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital. During his last year of training, Dr. Uchiyama honed his expertise in the medical and surgical management of patients with ocular inflammatory conditions. Upon graduation, he was honored as the “Ophthalmology Fellow of the Year,” an award given at Harvard Medical School for outstanding dedication and contribution to resident education.
His clinical areas of interest include immunomodulatory (steroid-sparing) therapy in uveitis, birdshot retinochoroidopathy, ocular toxoplasmosis, viral retinitis, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular surgery and retinal detachment surgery. He has been actively involved in clinical research studies and has been published in several scientific journals. He is a peer reviewer for the journals RETINA and JAMA Ophthalmology. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Uchiyama is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS), the American Uveitis Society (AUS), the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), and the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO). His interests include spending time with his family, reading, traveling and applying science to cooking. He is fluent in both English and Spanish.
Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD from Retina Group of Florida- EEUU del Curso Internacional de Retina
Presentations & Publications
- Davoudi S, Chang VS, Navarro-Gomez D, Stanwyck LK, Sevgi DD, Papavasileiou E, Ren A, Uchiyama E, Sullivan L, Lobo AM, Papaliodis GN, Sobrin L. Association of genetic variants in RAB23 and ANXA11 with uveitis in sarcoidosis. Molecular Vision. Accepted for Publication 2017
- Grotting LA, Davoudi S, Uchiyama E, Lobo AM, Papaliodis GN, Sobrin L. Pre-papillary vitreous opacities associated with Behçet's disease: a case series and review of the literature. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2017;255:2017-21.
- Roh M, Yasa C, Cho H, Nicholson L, Uchiyama E, Young LH, Lobo AM, Papaliodis GN, Durand ML, Sobrin L. The role of serological titres in the diagnosis of ocular toxoplasmosis. Acta Ophthalmol 2016;94:521-2.
- Uchiyama E, Faez S, Nasir H, Unizony S, Plenge R, Papaliodis GN, Sobrin L. Accuracy of the International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) as a research tool for identification of patients with uveitis and scleritis. Ophthalmic Epidemiol 2015;22:139-41.
- Warminski JD, Uchiyama E. Leukemic Retinopathy. JAMA Ophthalmol 2015;133:73.
- Uchiyama E, Papaliodis GN, Lobo AM, Sobrin L. Side effects of Anti-Inflammatory Therapy in Uveitis. Semin Ophthalmol 2014;29:456-67.
- Stacy RC, Uchiyama E, Jakobiec FA, Sobrin L. Posterior Necrotizing Scleritis presenting as Sectoral Chorioretinitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2015;23:412-5.
- Arciniega JC, Uchiyama E, Butovich IA. Disruption and Destabilization of Meibomian Lipid Films Caused by Increasing Amounts of Ceramides and Cholesterol. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2013;54:1352-60.
- Wojtowicz JC, Butovich I, Uchiyama E, Aronowicz J, Agee S, McCulley JP. Pilot, prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled clinical trial of an omega-3 supplement for dry eye. Cornea 2011;30:308-14.
- Uchiyama E, Di Pascuale MA, Butovich IA, McCulley JP. Impact on ocular surface evaporation of an artificial tear solution containing hydroxypropyl guar. Eye Contact Lens 2008;34(6):331-4
- Wojtowicz J, Uchiyama E, Di Pascuale MA, Aronowicz JD, McCulley, JP. Ojo Seco: Efecto de la Capa Lipídica de la Película Lagrimal. Vision Pan-America 2008;VII(2):48-51
- Butovich IA, Uchiyama E, McCulley JP. Lipids of human meibum: mass-spectrometric analysis and structural elucidation. J Lipid Res 2007;48(10):2220-35
-Butovich IA, Uchiyama E, Di Pascuale MA, McCulley JP. Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometric analysis of lipids present in human meibomian gland secretions. Lipids 2007;42(8):765-76
- Uchiyama E, Aronowicz JD, Butovich IA, McCulley JP. Pattern of vital staining and its correlation with aqueous tear deficiency and meibomian gland dropout. Eye Contact Lens 2007;33(4):177-9
- Uchiyama E, Aronowicz JD, Butovich IA, McCulley JP. Increased evaporative rates in laboratory testing conditions simulating airplane cabin relative humidity: an important factor for dry eye syndrome. Eye Contact Lens 2007;33(4):174-6
- Butovich IA, Uchiyama E, McCulley JP. Letter to the Editor: On the Presence of Oleamide in Human Meibum: Quantification by Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. June 2007
- McCulley JP, Uchiyama E, Aronowicz JD, Butovich IA. Impact of Evaporation on Aqueous Tear Loss. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 2006;104:121-8
- McCulley JP, Aronowicz JD, Uchiyama E, Shine WE, Butovich IA. Correlations in a change in aqueous tear evaporation with a change in relative humidity and the impact. Am J Ophthalmol 2006;141:758-60