Larry S. Halperin, M.D.
Dr. Lawrence Halperin has practiced with the Retina Group of Florida for over 20 years. He has been honored as one of the “Best Doctors in America.” Dr. Halperin is a national trustee of the Foundation Fighting Blindness, a member of the board of directors of the local Lighthouse of Broward County, and an editor for Retina Times, the official publication of the American Society of Retina Specialists.
A native of New Jersey, Dr. Halperin’s interest in medicine was borne out of a lifetime passion for helping others. This singular focus has defined every step of his career and his personal life. Dr. Halperin began his education with a major in Biology at Tufts University and earned membership in Phi Beta Kappa while becoming a Summa Cum Laude graduate. He earned his Medical Degree from the University of Pennsylvania and served an internship at Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated from the Barnes Hospital/Washington University Medical Center in St. Louis Ophthalmology Residency. He received additional training as a Fellow in Retina and Vitreous Surgery and Disease at Barnes Hospital with the Barnes Retina Institute. While there, he was awarded the prestigious Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
“I am deeply committed to providing state-of-the-art compassionate care, one patient at a time”— Dr. Larry Halperin
Dr. Halperin is a Voluntary Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami, a Clinical Affiliate Professor of Surgery in the Department of Surgery at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University, and a Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, in addition to his full-time medical practice. Dr. Halperin has served as Chief of Ophthalmology at North Ridge Medical Center and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Club Vit (an invitation-only retina society) and is a Past President of both the Palm Beach and Broward Ophthalmological Societies. He is a special examiner for the American Board of Ophthalmology. Dr. Halperin holds national leadership and board positions in the American Society of Retina Specialists, the largest retina society in the world, where he chairs key committees.
Dr. Halperin is a dedicated researcher and has served as principal investigator in more than 50 clinical research trials, has presented at medical conferences throughout the country, and has published twenty-nine medical journal articles and given eighty presentations on retinal diseases. Dr. Halperin has served on the peer review board of four major medical journals, including his present activities with the journal RETINA.
Dr. Halperin has served the Ophthalmology community through extensive volunteer work, serving as a member of We Care and other organizations, which provide free care to the needy of the community. Dr. Halperin is proud of the fact that Retina Group of Florida has remained true to the principle of providing care to anyone in need.
Dr. Halperin is also very active in the community, and serves as chairman of the Maimonides Society and a member of NextGen and the Foundation Board, all for the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, and he has been twice honored by the State of Israel Bonds, the Foundation Fighting Blindness, and Hope for Vision. Dr. Halperin is very dedicated to his family and has been married to Debra for over 30 years, and together they have three children, Douglas, Katie, and Scott. His other interests include physical fitness, golf, skiing, travel, and reading.
Dr. Lawrence S. Halperin, M.D. from Retina Group of Florida discusses Nutrition and Retinal Health
Presentations & Publications
- Green BS, Halperin LS, DeBari VA, Needle MA: Cation-DNA complexes. Formation of complexes studied by laser light scattering. Journal Applied Biochem 1981;3:337-343.
- Halperin LS, Schoch LH: Acute angle closure glaucoma after scleral buckling for retinopathy of prematurity. Archives of Ophthalmology, 1988;106:453.
- Halperin LS, Roseman RL: Successful treatment of a subretinal abscess in an intravenous drug abuser. Archives of Ophthalmology 1988;106:1651-1652.
- Striph GG, Halperin LS, Stevens JL, Chu FC: Afferent pupillary defects caused by hyphemas. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1988;106:352-353.
- Halperin LS, Lewis H, Blumenkranz MS, Gass JDM, Olk RJ, Fine SL: Choroidal neovascular membrane and other chorioretinal complications of acquired syphilis. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1989;108:554-562.
- Halperin LS, Olk RJ, Soubrane G, Coscas G: Safety of fluorescein angiography during pregnancy. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1990;109:563-566.
- Thomas MA, Halperin LS: Subretinal endolaser treatment of choroidal bleeding. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 1990;109:742-744.
- Halperin LS, Olk RJ, Soubrane G, Coscas G: Response to letter to the editor concerning "Safety of fluorescein angiography during pregnancy." American Journal of Ophthalmology 1990;110:324-325.
- Halperin LS, Berger A, Grand MG: Syphilitic disc edema & periphlebitis. Retina 1990;10:223-225.
- Halperin LS: Sneezing as an early indicator of allergy to fluorescein dye. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1991;112:601-602.
- Halperin LS: Neuroretinitis caused by seronegative syphilis associated with human immunodeficiency virus. Journal of Clinical Neuro-Ophthalmology 1992; 12: 171-172.
- Halperin LS, Goldman HB: Cystoid macular edema associated with phospholine iodine. Annals of Ophthalmology 1993; 25:457-8.
- Keyser BJ, Maguire JI, Halperin LS: Propionibacterium acnes endophthalmitis after Staph. epidermidis endophthalmitis. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 1993; 116: 505-506.
- Halperin LS: A new way to visualize the macula during laser photocoagulation. Retina, 1998; 18 (6): 571.
- Amirikia A, Scott IU, Murray TG, Halperin LS: Acute bilateral visual loss associated with retinal hemorrhages following epiduroscopy. Archives Ophthalmology, 2000; 118: 287-9.
- Shuler MF, Halperin LS, Murray TG: Pseudo-idiopathic central serous choroidopathy and choroidal infiltration in a leukemic patient. Submitted.
- Pollack AL, McDonald HR, Ai E, Green WR, Halperin LS, et al.: Sympathetic Ophthalmia associated with pars plana vitrectomy without antecedent penetrating trauma. Retina, 2001; 21: 146-154.
- Halperin LS: On the shoulders of giants: The story of the Washington University Dept. of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences. Archives Ophthalmology, 2001; 119: 1567-1568. 19.Halperin LS: Beware Retinal Detachment. Eyenet, 2002; October: 8.
- Fu AD, McDonald HR, Eliot D, Fuller DG, Halperin LS, Ramsay RC, Johnson RN, Ai E: Complications of general anesthesia using nitrous oxide in eyes with pre-existing gas bubbles. Retina, 2002; 22: 569-574.
- Hilton GF, Josephberg RG, Halperin LS, Madreperla SA, et al.: Office-based sutureless transconjunctival pars plana vitrectomy. Retina, 2002; 22: 725-732.
- Halperin LS: Discussion of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenges. Retina, 2003; 23: 224-229.
- Halperin LS, Prenner JL: AMD: The tried and true and the truly new. Review of Ophthalmology, 2006; 13: 54-59.
- Kleinman M, Pearson A, Halperin LS: Acute rise of intraocular pressure after intravitreal kenalog due to variable crystal size. Submitted to American Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Verteporfin Therapy of subfoveal occult with no classic choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration: two-year results of a randomized clinical trial. Submitted. Member of writing committee
- Klein KS, Walsh MK, Hassan TS, Halperin LS, Castellarin AA, Roth D, Driscoll S, Prenner JL: Endophthalmitis after anti-vascular endothelial growth injections. Ophthalmology, 2009; 116: 1225.
- Zhang K, Hopkins J, Heier J, Birch D, Halperin L, Albini T, Brown D, Jaffe G, Tao W, Williams G: Phase 2 trial of ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for treatment of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration. In preparation.
- Kleinman ME, Westhouse SJ, Ambati J, Pearson PA, Halperin LS: Triamcinolone crystal size. Ophthalmology; 2010; 117, 1654.
- Halperin LS, Hasan T: Acute onset of severe macular pucker associated with severe vision loss. In preparation.
- Halperin LS: Durezol vs. Durasal. EyeNet Magazine, October 2011; 15.
- Zhang K, Hopkins JJ, Heier JS, Birch DG, Halperin LS, Albini TA, Brown DM, Jaffe GJ, Taoj W, Williams GA: Ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for treatment of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration. Proceedings of the national academy of sciences of the united states of america, 2011: 108; 15, 6241-6245
- Prenner J, Halperin L: Disease burden in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration: findings from a time-and-motion study. In Press, American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Do DV, Sepah YJ, Boyer D, Callanan D, Gallemore R, Bennett M, Marcus D, Halperin LS, Sadiq MA, Rajagopalan N, Campochiaro PA, Nguyen QD: High dose ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema: month-6 primary outcomes of the READ-3 study (Ranibizumab for Edema of the macula in Diabetes - Protocol 3). Submitted to Ophthalmology.
- Do DV, Sepah YJ, Boyer D, Callanan D, Gallemore R, Bennett M, Marcus D, Halperin LS, Sadiq MA, Rajagopalan N, Campochiaro PA, Nguyen QD: Month-6 primary outcomes of the READ-3 study (Ranibizumab for Edema of the macula in Diabetes - Protocol 3). Eye (in press).
- Ryan EH, Pulido CM; Mittra RA; Halperin LS; Wong K: Infusion misdirection in microincisional vitrectomy surgery. Submitted.
- Levine D, Halperin LS: Foveal atrophy as a cause of vision loss in idiopathic central serous choroidopathy. Submitted 2016, Retina.
- Sepal YJ, Sadiq MA, Boyer D, Callanan D, Gallemore R, Bennett M, Marcus D, Halperin L, Hassan M, Campochiaro PA, Nguyen QD, Do DV: 24-month outcomes of the READ-3 study (Ranibizumab for Edema of the Macula in Diabetes - Protocol 3 with high dose). Submitted 2016, Ophthalmology.
- Ryan EH, Halperin LS, Mittra RA, Wong K, Pulido CM: Infusion misdirection in microincisional vitrectomy surgery. Accepted for publication 2017, Retina Ophthalmology 39.Uchiyama E, Halperin LS: Sequelae of poorly controlled sympathetic ophthalmia. Submitted to Jaya Ophthalmology 2017.
- Aker J, Dowling J, Halperin LS: Myopic shift in a pseudophakic eye with an accommodating IOL following vitrectomy with gas tamponade. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2018.
- Ahuja A, Halperin LS: Using machine learning to monitor Keratoconus progression. JAMA Ophthalmology 2019.
- Ahuja A, Halperin LS: Understanding the advent of artificial intelligence in ophthalmology. Journal of Current Ophthalmology, May 2019.
- Ahuja AS, Reddy VP, Halperin LS: Eye care trends in young adults. JAMA Ophthalmology, 2019, submitted.