Patrick E. Rubsamen, M.D.
Dr. Patrick E. Rubsamen brings a blend of academic knowledge and private practice experience to Retina Group of Florida. Dr. Rubsamen has been an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology with Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami School of Medicine. While at Bascom Palmer, Dr. Rubsamen was involved in the education of residents, fellows, and medical students.
Dr. Rubsamen is actively involved in several basic science and clinical research projects focusing on age-related macular degeneration. His research in retinal detachment, Vitreoretinal surgery, diabetic eye disorders, and ocular trauma has been published in numerous scientific journals. He has presented his findings at multiple national and international meetings, including the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Retina Society, American Society of Retina Specialists, and Pan American Congress of Ophthalmology.
“How fortunate we are to take care of our amazing patients and to have the opportunity to save or restore their vision”— Dr. Patrick Rubsamen
Dr. Rubsamen received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Texas A&M University and was selected for the Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Society. He earned his Medical Degree from the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He served his internship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and completed his ophthalmology residency and Vitreoretinal fellowship training at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, where he also served as Chief Resident. Dr. Rubsamen was a recipient of the HEED Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship. He is Board-Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Rubsamen is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Medical Association, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, International Society of Ocular Trauma, American Society of Retina Specialists, Retina Society, and Pan American Ophthalmological Society.
Presentations & Publications
- Rubsamen PE, Gass JDM. Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada Syndrome. Vitreous, Retina, Macula: A Comprehensive Textbook . GuyerDR, Yannuzzi LA, Chang S, Shields JA, Green WR eds. W.B. Saunders1998: 573-583.
- Rubsamen PE. Posterior Segment Trauma. Ophthalmology. Yanoff M, Duker J eds. Mosby 1998: 43.1-6.
- Aaberg TM, Jr, Rubsamen PE. Surgical Techniques in Trauma: Management of hyphema, repair of iridodialysis, and repair of corneoscleral lacerations. Vitreoretinal Surgical Techniques. Peyman GA, Meffert SA, Conway MD, Chou F. eds. Dunitz 2001: 421-34.
- Rubsamen PE. Posterior Segment Trauma. Ophthalmology. Yanoff M, Duker J eds. Mosby . 2003:1007-12.
- Rubsamen PE, McCulley J. Bergstresser PR, Streilein JW. On the Ia immunogenicity of mouse corneal allografts infiltrated with Langerhans cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1984;25:513-18.
- Rubsamen PE, McCulley J. Bergstresser PR, Streilein JW. A murine model for heterotopic transplantation of corneas: proof that Langerhans cells are essential Ia-antigen presenting cells. Immunology and Immunopathology of the Eye, ed, A. Silverstein and R. O'Connor, Masson et Cie, New York, 1984.
- McLeish W, Rubsamen PE, Atherton S, Steilein JW. Immunobiology of Langerhans cells of the ocular surface II. Role of central corneal Langerhans cells in stromal keratitis following experimental HSV-1 infection in mice. Regional Immunology. 1989; 2:236-43.
- Rubsamen PE, McLeish, W. Keratoconus with acute hydrops and perforation. Cornea. 1991;10:83-4.
- Rubsamen PE, Gass JDM. Vogt-Koyangi-Harada Syndrome: Clinical Course, Therapy and long-term visual outcome. Arch Ophthalmol. 1991;109:682-87.
- Ksander BR, Rubsamen PE, Olsen K, Cousins S, Streilein JW. Studies of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes from a choroidal melanoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1991; 32:3198-3208.
- Callahan D, Rubsamen PE. Moraxella infection of a scleral buckle. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992;114:637-38.
- Rubsamen PE, Tanenbaum M, Grove AS, Gould E. Merkel cell carcinoma of the eyelid and periocular tissues. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992;113:674-80.
- Irvine WD, Flynn HW, Murray TG, Rubsamen PE. Retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification manifesting as marked intraocular inflammation with hypopyon. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992;114:610-14.
- Suan EP, Rubsamen PE, Byrne SF. Bilateral ciliochoroidal detachments after Valsalva maneuver. Arch Ophthalmol. 1993:111;304.
- Rubsamen PE, McLeish WM, Pflugfelder S, Miller D. Capnocytophaga Endophthalmitis. Ophthalmology 1993:100;456-59.
- Smiddy WE, Rubsamen PE, Grajewski A. Vitrectomy for pars plana placement of a glaucoma seton. Ophthalmic Surg 1994:25;532-35.
- Rubsamen PE, Flynn HW Jr, Civantos JM, Smiddy WE, Murray TG, Nicholson DH Blumenkranz MS. Treatment of massive subretinal hemorrhage due to complications of scleral buckling procedures. Am J Ophthalmol 1994:118;299-303.
- Rubsamen PE, Cousins SW, Winward KE, Byrne SF. Diagnostic ultrasound and pars plana vitrectomy in penetrating ocular trauma. Ophthalmology 1994:101;809-1.
- Kim JE, Flynn HW, Smiddy WE, Murray TG, Rubsamen PE, Davis JL, Nicholson DH. Retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification. Ophthalmology 101:1827-1832, 1994.
- Foster RE, Rubsamen PE, Joondeph BC, Flynn HW Jr, Smiddy WS. Concurrent endophthalmitis and retinal detachment. Ophthalmology 1994:101;490-98.
- Rubsamen PE, Davis PA, Hernandez E, O'Grady GE, Cousins SW. Prevention of experimental proliferative vitreoretinopathy with a biodegradable intravitreal implant for the sustained release of fluorouracil. Arch Ophthalmol. 1994:112;407-13.
- Cousins SW, Rubsamen PE. Comparison of flow cytometry with the surgeon regarding ability to predict the ultimate success of surgery for proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 1994;112:554-60.
- Rubsamen PE, Irvine WD, McCuen BW II, Smiddy WE, Bowman CB. Primary Intraocular Lens Implantation in the Setting of Penetrating Ocular Trauma. Ophthalmology 1995; 102:101-7.
- Kangas TA, Bennett SR, Flynn HW, Murray TG, Rubsamen PE, Han DP, Mielar WF, Williams DF, Abrams GW. Reversible Loss of Light Perception after Vitreoretinal Surgery. Am J Ophthalmol 1995;120:751-56.
- Thompson WS, Rubsamen PE, Flynn HW Jr, Schiffman J, Cousins SW. Endophthalmitis Following Penetrating Ocular Trauma: Risk Factors and Visual Acuity Outco
- Kim JE, Flynn HW Jr, Smiddy WE, Murray TG, Rubsamen PE, Davis JL. Reply to letter: Retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification. Ophthalmology 1995; 102:1735-6.
- Harbour JW, Smiddy WE, Rubsamen PE, Murray TG, Davis JL, Flynn HW Jr. Pars plana vitrectomy for chronic pseudophakic cystoid macular edema. Am J Ophthalmol. 1995;120:302-307.
- Thompson WS, Smiddy WE, Flynn HW Jr, Rubsamen PE. Outcome of functioning filtering blebs after pars plana vitrectomy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 1996;27: 367-373.
- Foster RE, Martinez JA, Murray TG, Rubsamen PE, Flynn HW Jr, Forster RK. Useful visual outcomes after treatment of Bacillus cereus endophthalmitis. Ophthalmology 1996;103:390-397.
- Harbour JW, Smiddy WE, Flynn HW Jr, Rubsamen PE. Vitrectomy for diabetic macular edema associated with a thickened and taut posterior hyaloid. Am J Ophthalmol 1996;121:405-413.
- Kim JE, Flynn HW Jr, Rubsamen PE, Murray TG, Davis JL, Smiddy WE. Endophthalmitis in patients with retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification. Ophthalmology 1996;103:575-578.
- Pieramici DJ, Capone A Jr, Rubsamen PE, Roseman RL. Lens preservation following intraocular foreign body injuries. Ophthalmology 1996;103:1563-67.
- Harbour JW, Rubsamen PE, Palmberg P. Pars plana vitrectomy in the manage ment of phakic and peudophakic malignant glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 1996;114:1073-78.
- Essman TF, Flynn HW Jr, Smiddy WE, Brod RD, Murray TG, Davis JL, Rubsamen PE. Treatment outcomes in a ten-year study of endogenous fungal endophthalmitis. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 1997;28:185-194.
- Rubsamen PE, Cousins SW, Martinez J. Impact of cultures on management decisions following surgical repair of penetrating ocular trauma. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 1997;28:43-49.
- Rubsamen PE, Cousins SW. Therapeutic Effect of Periocular Corticosteroids in Experimental Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy. Retina 1997;17:44-50.
- Aaberg TM Jr, Rubsamen PE, Joondeph BC, Flynn HW Jr. Chronic postoperative gram negative endophthalmitis. Retina. 1997;17:260-2.
- Aaberg TM Jr, Rubsamen PE, Chang S, Smiddy WE, Flynn HW Jr. Giant retinal tear as a complication of attempted removal of intravitreal lens fragments during catara
- Vander JF, Handa J, McNamara JA, Trese M, Spencer R, Repka MX, Rubsamen P, Li H, Morse LS, Tasman WS. Early treatment of posterior retinopathy of prematurity.
- Pieramici D, Sternberg P Jr, Aaberg TM, Bridges WZ, Capone A Jr, Cardillo JA, de Juan E Jr, Kuhn F, Meredith TA, Mieler WF, Olsen TW, Rubsamen P, Stout T. A system for classifying mechanical injuries of the eye. Am J Ophthalmol. 1997; 123:820-31.
- Harbour JW, Rubsamen PE, Palmberg P. Pars plana vitrectomy in the manage ment of phakic and peudophakic malignant glaucoma. Chinese Arch Ophthalmol. 1997;5:99-104.
- Vilar NF, Flynn HW, Smiddy WE, Murray TG, Davis JL, Rubsamen PE. Removal of retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification reverses secondary glaucoma and restores visual acuity. Ophthalmology. 1997;104: 787-91.
- Vander JF, Handa J, McNamara A, Trese M, Spencer R, Repka MX, Rubsamen PE, Li H, Tasman WS. Early treatment of posterior retinopathy of prematurity: A controlled trial. Ophthalmology. 1997;104:1731-35.
- Ksander BR, Geer DC, Chen PW, Salgaller ML, Rubsamen P, Murray TG. Uveal melanomas contain antigenically specific and non-specific infiltrating lymphocytes. Current Eye Research 1998; 17:165-173.
- Kim JW, McDonald HR, Rubsamen PE, et al. Surfing-related ocular injuries. Retina1998;18:424-29.
- Rosenfeld PJ, Flynn HW Jr, McDonald HR, Rubsamen PE, Smiddy WE, Sipperley JO, Boniak I, Packer AJ. Outcomes of vitreoretinal surgery in patients with X-linked retinoschisis. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 1998;29:190-7.
- Horn EP, McDonald HR, Johnson RN, Ai E, Williams GA, Lewis JM, Rubsamen PE, Sternberg P Jr, Bhisitkul RB, Mieler WF. Soccer ball-related retinal injuries: a report of 13 cases. Retina. 2000;20(6):604-9.
- Duguid IGM, Rubsamen PE, Le Mer Y, Luthert P, Gregor ZJ. Surgical removal of choroidal neovascular membranes after laser photocoagulation for diabetic maculopathy. Eye. 2001:15: 135-42.
- Cruz-Villegas V, Villate N, Knighton RW, Rubsamen P, Davis JL. Optical coherence tomographic findings in acute exudative polymorphious vitelliform maculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2003;136(4):760-3.